Saturday 18 May 2019

1). Following. 2). A 3). Word 4). Count

Obviously, if you have to work to a limit for someone, stick to it - don't sacrifice writing jobs because you don't like following a word count.

You may see other writers posting about how many words they have managed to write in a short period of time, and as a result, feel inadequate. Don't. Everyone writes differently, I don't use a word count for projects, nor do I set goals for how many words I plan to write in a set limit of time.

Word counts can be used to structure an essay, article, novel, etc, and having a deadline can put added pressure on writing. Writing can be painful as it is without a combination of a time limit AND needing a certain number of words. I feel if some days you are more creative than others, you're going to feel like a let down if you have an off day.

If you do choose to set a limit, ensure it's reasonable and not a project for someone else, that way you don't have a deadline to write it in. If you pass your daily goal, fantastic, if not, it doesn't matter, you're testing the water. I'd say do a dummy run, so when you're feeling particularly productive, pull a number out of the air and start writing. You then have the opportunity to see how long it takes you, how comfortable you are writing that much, and see if setting a word count is for you.

I don't work to one, I'd honestly prefer not to - in regards to my novel, I'm playing it by ear so when it is complete and I give it a run through and seems too short or too long, I'll deal with this in the editing stages of writing. If I get a writing job, I tend to write as much as I need to - but then chop and change when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment