Saturday 25 May 2019

Meet The Author

I thought I'd make a 'Meet The Author' post for whilst I'm on my writing break. I hope it makes for an interesting read and I'll be back as soon as I can! You can follow me on Twitter: @beffyparkin or Instagram: @thebeffyparkin if you fancy.

Do you use a Pen Name?

- Yes. 'Beffy' is my nickname, I gained it when working with small children as it's easier (and more fun to say) than my actual name, and 'Parkin' is my maiden name. I answer to my pen name more than I do my legal name!
What do you write?

- Children's books mostly, I have released four story books into the wild. But I have tried to expand my creative writing, I also dabble in poetry, screenplays, jokes, short horror stories, stand up comedy sets, and I'm working on a novel.
Do you base characters on real people?

- I have a few WIPs that have characters that are loosely based on people I know. I find  real life characters make the best book characters, even if it's just aspects of their personality.
What does literary success look like to you?

- I'm aiming to have 10 books out by the time I'm 30. I already have 6 books available to the public, so I'm nearly there. I like having my name on things, so the more books, the better!
Do you read your book reviews?
- Definitely, someone took the time to read one of my books and leave feedback, I'm happy to hear opinions on my work, positive or negative.
Do you Google yourself?

- I have done in the past, mostly to find where my books are available to purchase - I don't get updates for this, so I have to hunt them down myself.
How many hours a day do you write?
- I write as much as I can before burning out. I try to set time aside to write, but if I'm not feeling creative, it's not happening. I don't force it too much, it'll render the exercise pointless.
What are you working on?
- I have lots of unfinished writing projects, such as poetry, short stories and comedy. I can't wait to come back and get working on them again! Time away has worked well for me, so I'm happy to put pins in work.
What are the titles of your children's books?

- My Charlie Cheese Books have three books so far, Don't Eat Charlie Cheese, Charlie Cheese Travels The World, and Charlie Cheese And The Food Dance. I also have a book inspired by my naughty, little dog called The Macroodelzig. There will be more!
Where can we find your books?

- My children's books are available on many websites, Waterstones, Barnes and Noble, Booktopia, Amazon, etc.
Do you give out creative writing advice?

- My blog is riddled with advice, tips and experiences of creative writing. I will try most things to expand my creative writing abilities, so I'm happy to talk about them.
What's your top tip for an aspiring writer?

- Respect the reviews and feedback you get for your work - people put time aside to read what you put out there, so you should return the favour! It will only improve your work.
When will you be blogging again?

- I'm hoping to get a routine going where I have a few hours a week to write properly, and update my blog. I'm winging it, so it could be any time!
How can you be contacted in the meantime?
- I'm going to be less active but I will try to check my Twitter/Instagram as often as I can - You can fill in the contact form on this blog if you're querying and I'll respond as soon as.

No comments:

Post a Comment