Thursday 11 July 2019

Using Writing Prompts


There's many Insta / Tumblr pages now that focus solely on giving vague writing prompts for people, and although they do well in regards to likes/comments, they can be quite limiting.

I feel that whenever I see a writing prompt, I make a quick idea in my head and it goes no further, but who is to say someone else didn't immediately follow the same thought? It's a little exercise to get your brain going, but personally, I definitely wouldn't risk trying to base a story around one. It's a bit of quick fun at best - but it does have it's benefits - writing prompts can trigger other story ideas, or lead you on a train of thought that could help with other projects on the go.

If I ever see a writing prompt that leads my brain on a thought - I run with it and see what I can create - but the ones I have come across seem very limiting, or uninspired, or just completely wild and I feel I can't do anything with it. They would be a good jump off point for high school essay projects or as a creative ice breaking task before writing something else - but I've never got too far with a writing prompt idea, if I ever do, I'll be sure to tell the world.

The positive about writing prompts, is that it could lead you in a completely different direction - which could inspire a project that's a safe enough distance from the prompt that you can go anywhere with it. I'm yet to see one that's inspired me.

I suggest exploring writing prompt pages, to see if anything sparks your creativity. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment