Wednesday 31 July 2019

Writing Poetry For Children

I'm going to attempt writing a poetry book for children!
The books I have out for children rhyme, so I'm hoping to apply this to a book full of nonsense!

I once made a plan to create a book called 'Nursery NERRORtives' - which was a mashup of well known nursery rhymes, that weren't typically how they ended. In all honesty, they were utter nonsense, but they worked. Children learn nursery rhymes, and can join in - but the idea was that it was unexpected - which was apparently hilarious.. I am hoping to go through the rhymes again and see if they could be improved, ie. changing them into something silly.

I was inspired by Michael Rosen, I follow him on Twitter, and he is so passionate about exposing children to poetry and rhymes. I already write rhyming stories for my children's books, so this new project will be interesting. I'm not slapping a deadline on this, as I already have loads written, it just needs perfecting. I am excited to go through these notes again, hopefully creating more twist endings.

I will be needing littlies to be my beta readers, so when I've made some progress, I'll be needing little readers to give me some feedback. If you're interested, when I put the call out, please contact me on the form below.

No comments:

Post a Comment