Saturday 27 April 2019

Novel Research : What Are Other Indies Up To?

I've only mentioned 'research' when I first started my novel - which is still nowhere near finished, please don't question it - and when I discovered you can use it as an excuse to take lots of trips and your husband has to be supportive...

Whilst being more involved with the Twitter's writing community, I've noticed a few patterns and themes within people's queries or pitches. Young Adult and Sci-Fi seems to be what people are looking for / writing themselves.

And I have no idea how to write YA fiction, and I worry too much about plot holes in Sci-Fi stories to even attempt - so as you can see it's off to a good start.
The second most popular genre I've found is Fantasy. I can't write that either.
I cannot for the life of me get into fantasy, books nor television, my brain just doesn't accept it.

BUT - if all of these other indie authors are writing YA, Sci-Fi and Fantasy, then why would mine stand out? Why shouldn't I jump on the band wagon? Shouldn't I be working on something else entirely to distance myself from already popular genres?
YES, I should.
Right, I'm almost out of options. Lots of indies are strong with Sci-Fi or Fantasy. So, the best thing I can do is play to my strengths. I can write comedy, so that's the direction I'll send my novels in. It's always good to stand out - especially if you'll be out of your depth if you attempt something you're not knowledgeable about.

Do your research! It's good to know what's popular with other indies, so you can decide if you're diving in with them, or stepping back to rethink.
The writing community is very friendly so making a query will not go unheard!

No comments:

Post a Comment